Here’s a sneak peek at some of the development initiatives already underway for 2022 and beyond, and a few of note that have recently been completed. Valued at more than $1 billion, these projects are another strong indication of the continued confidence in St. John’s long-term economic growth.
331 Water Street – $30 million
View of Harbour Drive and Bishop’s Cove, St. John’s / Artist’s rendering courtesy of ALRE Properties Inc.
– To replace the existing harbour front parking lot adjacent to the Murray Premises.
– The development is bordered by Harbour Drive, Bishop’s Cove and Water Street.
– 75,000 square foot development with office and ground level retail space.
– Developer: Montreal-based ALRE Properties Inc.
– Anticipated completion: 2022
“One point of emphasis in this development will be to encourage more retail and foot traffic on Harbour Drive. Many of the buildings have turned their back to Harbour Drive. Our building treats the harbour as an important facade of the building and looks to set a new development standard along the harbour.”
JAG Hotel Expansion – $67 million
View of Buchanan Street and George Street West, St. John’s / Artist’s rendering courtesy of Steele Hotels.
– To include an additional 80 hotel rooms, a 140 seat lounge, expansion of the existing restaurant, a high-end spa and fitness centre and a two-storey, acoustically designed multi-purpose venue to accommodate concerts of up to 1,500 people and receptions for 1,000.
– 196,000 square foot development connected to the existing JAG Hotel by pedway.
– Developer: Steele Hotels
– Anticipated completion: 2023
“A great enhancement to the arts and entertainment scene in the downtown St. John’s area.”
Churchill Park Luxury Apartments – $25 million
47 Rowan Street, St. John’s / Photo and artist’s rendering courtesy of Allied Construction Management Ltd.
– The property will consist of five stories incorporating 69 luxury apartments, ranging in size from 900 to 1,500 square feet, ground level retail and two levels of underground parking,
– Developer: KMK Capital Inc.
– Anticipated completion: Summer 2023
“The former Dominion grocery store on the west side of Churchill Square has been empty since 2012. With the demolition now complete, a new six-storey building will soon stand in its place, furthering a reinvention of the square.”
H.G.R. Mews Community Centre Replacement – $31 million
30 Blacker Avenue, Mundy Pond Park, St. John’s / Artist’s renderings courtesy of Lat49 Architecture Inc.
– Project details can be found at H.G.R. Mews Centre Replacement: Project Update.
– The development includes the universally accessible Jumpstart Inclusive Playground, gifted to the City by Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities, that will open in Spring/Summer 2022.
– Anticipated completion: Fall 2023
150 New Gower Street – $50 million
150 New Gower Street, St. John’s / Artist’s rendering courtesy of Lat49 Architecture Inc.
– The City has received an application for a 13-storey hotel with commercial/retail uses on the lower level and a 9-storey apartment building containing 86 units at 150 New Gower Street.
– Developer: Manga Hotels
– Anticipated completion: To be confirmed
The New Adult Mental Health and Addictions Facility – $330 million
An addition to the existing Health Sciences Center, St. John’s / Artist’s renderings courtesy of John Hearn Architect.
– The new, state-of-the-art facility will include a six-storey, 102-bed, 240,000 square foot hospital; a parking garage with space for 1,000 vehicles; and a new 60-bed hostel to replace the Agnes Cowan Hostel.
– The new facility will be built on the Health Sciences Centre campus and will be connected to the existing hospital.
– The NAMHAF will replace the existing Waterford Hospital, in operation since 1855.
– A virtual tour of the New Adult Mental Health and Addictions Facility is available on YouTube.
– The building has been designed to achieve LEED® Silver Certification.
– Avalon Healthcare Partnership (a consortium of 13 companies) has been selected to design, build, finance and maintain the facility.
– Over the course of construction, more than 400 jobs are expected to be created with 200 workers expected onsite at peak construction.
– Anticipated completion: Late 2024
“We are one step closer to a future that we’ve all dreamed of – where our mental health is as important as our physical health, where health is health.”
The Morgan Residence, Chancellor Park Phase 3 Addition – $30 million
274 Portugal Cove Road, St. John’s / Artist’s rendering courtesy of Chancellor Park.
– Four story, 155,751 square foot extension of an existing retirement home.
– Anticipated completion: Fall 2022
“An innovative response to the needs of our aging population and the community.”
Field Power Centre Addition – $28 million
25 Sea Rose Avenue, St. John’s / Artist’s rendering courtesy of Allied Construction Management Inc.
– Four story, 135,000 square foot office building and parking garage.
– The latest addition to the Field Power Centre Development (in the Hebron Way and Sea Rose Avenue area); a 50 acre, multi-structure, office and retail development that includes tenants ExxonMobil, Verafin, Vale, Nalcor Energy, KCA Deutag, Crosbie Group Ltd., Hatch, Canadian Tire, etc.
– Developer: KMK Capital Inc.
– Anticipated completion of 25 Sea Rose Avenue: Early 2022
The New Home of Capital Hyundai – $16 million
515 Kenmount Road, St. John’s / Photo courtesy of The Capital Auto Group.
– 68,000 square foot development and the largest Hyundai dealership in Canada.
– The facility features over 750 parking spots to accommodate a growing customer base and to support projected sales of approximately 2,000 new and pre-owned vehicles per year.
– The building also includes a 15-car showroom and over 30 technician bays to allow for shorter wait times.
– The new location is home to 115 employees.
– Developer: The Capital Auto Group
– Completed: Fall 2021
“The Capital Hyundai expansion shows great confidence in our local economy.”
Memorial University of Newfoundland’s Core Science Facility – $325 million
Arctic Avenue, St. John’s / Artist’s renderings courtesy of John Hearn Architect / Completed September 2021.
– Five story, 480,000 square foot building.
– This facility will replace Memorial’s old science building, which opened in 1963, enabling the university to recruit world-class faculty and attract a greater number of graduate students.
– For the full story, Memorial University’s state-of-the-art Core Science Facility officially opens.
– Completed: September 2021
“The Core Science Facility builds on a long history of visionary investment in this institution and will serve as a pillar for science education in Newfoundland and Labrador for years to come.”
Avalon Mall Redevelopment – $112 million
48 Kenmount Road, St. John’s / Photos courtesy of Crombie REIT / Completed Summer 2021.
– Originally opened in 1967, the refurbishment of the Avalon Mall began in 2017 as the mall celebrated its 50th anniversary, and took 4 years to complete.
– The Avalon Mall now has 593,000 square feet of gross leasable area and 128 stores, more than 94% of which are already leased.
– The work included the addition of a four storey, $30 million parking garage that can accommodate 875 vehicles, and a redesign and realignment of vehicular access from Kenmount Road.
– The completed retail mall holds a BOMA BEST Sustainable Buildings certification.
– Developer: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia-based Crombie REIT
– Completed: Summer 2021
“The mall’s size and status … made investing a significant sum in Avalon a proposition that made sense.”
Additionally, the ongoing commercial and industrial development at Galway continues, with the Galway Wellness Centre, located at 23 Beaumont Hamel Way and valued at $2.6 million, soon to be completed.
Also close to completion is the new Kubota NL building, located at 15 Nils Way and valued at $2.8 million.
A selection of new development projects will continue to be added to this post.
Main photo courtesy of John Hearn Architect.